In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It was low-key and it was not saturated with triumphalism.
- How could such euphoria and triumphalism end only two years later in the political cul-de-sac of voter apathy?
- None of this is victory, and it's far too early for triumphalism.
- It must stop exalting its own worst excesses and re-invent itself as a cultural organisation free of the taint of sectarian triumphalism.
- Yet that is what sober, scholarly assessments are for: to throw doubt on easy triumphalism.
- The triumphalism flowed, he notes, from a deceptively simple rationale.
- But there was no victory parade or military march-past at the event - in keeping with the theme of remembrance rather than triumphalism.
- Affirming papal authority in that context is a far cry from triumphalism.
- There is none of the confident triumphalism I heard before.
- The songs and the chants are an end in themselves, triumphalism for people who experience precious few real triumphs.
- This is the moment of his most complete triumph - but it is no time for triumphalism.
- I don't think the public has yet forgiven the press for that episode of arrogance and premature triumphalism.
- The question remains, though, what is fueling this liberal triumphalism?
- The level of triumphalism and belligerence churned out by our columnists has been embarrassing to behold.
- And triumphalism has a certain quality of unsustainability about it.
- But if the speech was designed to avoid triumphalism, the venue sent out the reverse message.
- Foreign policy conservatism has become colored by triumphalism and crusading zeal.
- We think that it will induce humility rather than triumphalism.
- He does not tend toward vindictiveness or in-your-face triumphalism.
- There's no room for triumphalism, no room for big victory smiles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.