- But if you listen at the line carefully, it's a line of regular trochaic pentameter.
- Calendars begins with the cadenced trochaic tetrameter rhythms of ‘Landing Under Water, I See Roots’.
- The first line's primarily iambic structure separates it from the second, fourth and fifth lines trochaic feet.
- The only notable exceptions are the trochaic tetrameters of ‘The Phoenix and Turtle’ and the iambic tetrameters of Sonnet 145.
- The auditory ease of the merry mockeries of maidens is abruptly undermined by the trochaic retarding of the ‘sharp voices’ insisting on ‘maiden labour.’