In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Campaigners who fought a battle to have Doncaster's last remaining trolleybus poles listed for conservation have welcomed council plans to restore them.
- I ventured on to the Danube's east bank and clambered aboard a trolleybus bound for City Park.
- Today I saw that the trolleybus lines were broken along Kent Terrace.
- The spectacular journey delivers you across the spine of Japan by cable car, bus, trolleybus and ropeway.
- The claret and amber stripes are as important a part of this city's identity as the town hall clock and the old trolleybuses.
- It would not be restricted to travelling under wires, so could follow diversions and overtake other trolleybuses.
- I actually like the new buses - they afford easy entry/exit at multiple points along the body of the bus, akin to the trams and trolleybuses in continental cities and modern British cities like Manchester and Sheffield.
- The minute my friend and I, bound for the concert, got off the trolleybus to reach the venue, it was obvious everyone was out for a great night.
- Ever since trolleybuses disappeared in Bradford there has been a desire to bring them back.
- Back she comes with her shopping bag, sliding on the icy pavements, the yellow afternoon lights coming on and trolleybuses schussing along on their crackling ski-poles.
- They are believers in integrated transport links using trains, buses, trolleybuses and trams to increase passenger usage.
- This will involve the purchase of 100 new trolleybuses and buses and the modernisation of the tram fleet.
- London is famed for its highly efficient trolleybus system.
- They declined steadily thereafter, with some traffic being transferred to the trolleybuses, pioneered by Leeds and Bradford in 1911, but which, at their peak, only carried a little over 2,000 million passengers.
- At their peak 20,000 trolleybuses, which run on wheels and are powered by overhead electric cables, were in operation in the UK.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.