In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1barco para el transporte de tropas
- His frigate served initially as a troopship in the 1801 operations, before assuming the role of a hospital ship.
- Ship casualties would have been higher if bombs had burst on impact, and British prospects would have been poor if troopships rather than warships had been lost.
- Our troopship came into a former Japanese naval port and after a few hours we were put on a train.
- Had one of our aircraft-carriers or troopships been sunk before the troops got ashore, British forces would have been in deep trouble.
- Generally, troopships moved units to the theaters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.