- Our data demonstrate that factors in addition to the amount of PrP expressed determine the tropism of prions for certain tissues.
- This protein is embedded in and extends exterior to the viral lipid membrane and is primarily responsible for host cell receptor binding and host cell tropism.
- It has a wide cell tropism and remains extra-chromosomal, therefore minimising the risk of insertional mutagenesis.
- Clearly, such a rise in genetic diversity may also have important phenotypic implications, such as the emergence of viruses with altered antigenicity, virulence, or tissue tropism.
- An envelope glycoprotein on the surface is thought to be responsible for mediating viral entry into cells, tissue tropism, and host range.