In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sistema de pesos troy femenino
- One troy pound weighs 373.25 g and is subdivided into troy ounces, pennyweight and grains (gr, 24 in a pennyweight).
- My personal estimate is that this might price monetary-reserve gold at somewhere between US $800 and US $1,000 a troy ounce; I may be underestimating the price, but the estimate illustrates the point.
- Gold had a glittering year, up nearly 6% to $452.85 a troy ounce at the end of November, as investors frightened by the dollar's slide scrambled to secure this so-called safe haven.
- The troy and apothecary systems have pounds that are only 5,250 grains.
- They are shares that move in line with the gold price; a share is equivalent to a tenth of a troy ounce of gold.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.