In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Spoon a small amount of the truffle sauce around the potato cups and garnish with the chives.
- Educating the customer will take the form of regular truffle tastings and positioning the truffle case as a strong focal point in each store.
- Gourmets stop and sniff as the all-pervading scent of truffles, of dark woodland places, of autumn, wafts from every shop and doorway…
- The romantic cook also faces the tricky question of whether to serve up alleged aphrodisiacs such as oysters and truffles.
- Mushrooms are a speciality, most notably the truffles of Acqualagna.
- Upon closer inspection, the top of the truffle had grown a delicate little beard, white and fuzzy.
- The truffle taste was strong and earthy and worked in nice harmony with the risotto.
- Using his special truffling stick, he extracts the truffle from between the roots.
- From time to time, these should be released to seek truffles in the woodlands roundabout.
- Pasta dishes adorned with regionally grown truffles are popular, as are Piedmontese wines like the full-bodied aged Barolo.
- Stalls will be laden with fresh, dried, wild and cultivated mushrooms and truffles as well as blackberries, wet walnuts and hazelnuts.
- Hart's truffles are the mycorrhizal associates of tree roots and are completely subterranean throughout their lives.
- Examples of mycorrhizal fungi include truffles and Auricularia, the mushroom which flavors sweet-and-sour soup.
- I think of truffles as the fungus that the Italians or French go to incredible lengths to gather using trained dogs or pigs and pay hundred to thousands of dollars a kilo.
- Boletus and the famous truffles are examples of these types of mushrooms.
- The menu is small but solid and offers diners the chance to enjoy a selection of home-style cooking from the Perigueux region of France, an area renowned for its truffles, duck, goose and cêpes mushrooms.
- These prepare a seasonal cuisine of course, so in the autumn you should look out for truffles, the many varieties of wild mushrooms and berries, and wild meat.
- I struggled to taste the truffle in the light celeriac mousseline but all-in-all this wide array of flavours pulled together well.
- Virtually no other plants, except for those which need no water, can grow in such soil and the underground progress of the truffle mycelium can be charted by the spread of this barren ground.
- It lives on subterranean fungi or, as we call them truffles if we're in France.
- She candies orange rind and rolls her own ganache truffles.
- I already knew that this Aztec-themed store sold excellent chocolates, ganaches and truffles, but I had never tried any of their pastries.
- I shouldn't have eaten your chocolate truffles!
- A kindredly vast chunk of chocolate truffle flavoured with orange, Armagnac and, perhaps, mint was a delicious confection.
- My other creation was very successful - dark chocolate muffins with truffle filling.
- I decide not to bring the subject up, lest we choke on our chocolate truffles.
- Remember that the more alcohol you add then the softer the truffles will be, as it will stop the chocolate mix from setting firm.
- On the dessert menu was apple pie, chocolate truffle, cheesecake covered with cherries and/or chocolate syrup, and ice cream.
- Children will be keen to help and they love to make biscuits, chocolate truffles and peppermint creams too - all great activities for the holiday week before Christmas.
- Polly also made some tiny chocolate tarts and truffles which had a subtle, unusual flavour.
- For dessert I had the chocolate truffle, but I only took a few bites as it was too sweet for me.
- She was just about to go to the confectioners and buy Frank some of the dark chocolate truffles he liked so much when out of the corner of her eye she saw someone striding forcefully towards her.
- The chocolate truffle torte with raspberries was an elegant offering, combining the virtues of a good British summer pudding with those of a silky French chocolate marquise.
- I enjoyed the chocolate truffle for dessert at dinner.
- They're halfway between a cookie and a chocolate truffle with an extraordinarily pure bittersweet chocolate flavor.
- Cover the plate of truffles loosely with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- A tray of miniature fruit ices appeared after dessert, along with mint truffles and slivers of candied ginger.
- My chocolate truffles and my mendiants were such fun to make and were so well received, that I was determined to repeat the experience this year.
- Waiting for them was a strawberry scented bubble bath, a box of dark chocolate truffles, and a bottle of white wine.
- His home-made chocolate truffles makes it worth ordering a coffee after dinner, even if caffeine keeps you awake all night.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.