In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Nothing more was needed than a steady hold on the reins of her trusty steed.
- You will need a bow, target, finger and wrist guard and some trusty arrows.
- Our hero sat once more below the faithful tree, his trusty vial of pills in his hands, a prescribed lifeline.
- Crowd cheering, the trusty steed galloped at high speed for the winning post.
- I was so chuffed that I gave my old, trusty typewriter to her daughter without even a second thought.
1(prisionero que se considera merecedor de ciertos privilegios) ordenanza masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.