In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In late spring, the arching stems carry drooping clusters of small, tubular flowers that are white tipped with green.
- Other flowers attract hummingbirds with color; such flowers tend to be red, have symmetrical tubular flowers, and provide a heavy nectar flow.
- Agapanthus have long been prized for their unique 1 to 4 inch clusters of tubular flowers - often as many as 20-50 per cluster.
- The small, tubular flowers are a translucent white with the faintest blush of rose.
- It's an annual, with heart shaped leaves and curious tubular flowers, yellow at the base and purple at the top.
- Its tubular flowers grow in tiers, rising above the lovely foliage.
- Flowers with tubular red corollas are especially attractive to hummingbirds.
- Predation by ants may have driven the evolution of flowers with a more tubular shape, counterbalancing the pressure for flaring caused by bumblebees and explaining the less open shape in areas where ants are more numerous.
- The plant has smooth, shiny, oval leaves and tubular flowers.
- Descending rows of dots and extended tubular shapes meander across pale blue and green backgrounds.
- The long tubular flowers look great with many ornamentals but are especially attractive near green-and-white hostas and dark daylilies.
- Curcuma is a tall reed-like tuber from Burma with luscious, lilac-pink tubular flowers that make a spectacular show.
- The flower has a tubular calyx with four ovate lobes and a corolla with four overlapping petals.
- It produces showy, tubular flowers in summer and is able to set seed if pollinators are available.
- It is essential to keep in mind that hummers prefer tubular flowers that allow their long, needle-like bills to fit inside these tubes.
- In winter and spring, profuse clusters of long tubular white flowers burst open at the tips of the branches.
- It's in the same family as Daphne and the tubular flowers resemble those of its cousin, except that they are a bright, buttery yellow!
- Add some hardy fuchsias for their pink, red and white tubular flowers that appeal to the hummingbirds.
- They all have tubular flowers with the most common colors being red and blue.
- The yellowish-green to white perianth of male and hermaphrodite flowers is tubular.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.