In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1toba femeninotufo masculino
- Along the shoreline, pinnacles of calcium carbonate deposits, called tufa, glare white in the sunlight.
- It's an otherworldly site, fringed with dunes and studded with bone-white calcium carbonate spires called tufa towers.
- It is perched on a plateau of tufa rock, almost like it's been carved straight from its roots.
- All were so-called tufa towers, formations of calcium carbonate deposited by the mineral-rich lake water, which is two and a half times saltier than seawater and eighty times more alkaline.
- Among the 30 different types of stone recognized are varieties of diorite, granite, bedded tuff, sandstones, limestones, and tufa.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.