In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- You have to put all your clothes into an electricity-eating tumble drier instead of letting them dry naturally in the fresh air.
- It seems the filter fell off the back of the tumble dryer's drum.
- The fire was caused by an electrical fault in a tumble dryer.
- He told me to take his shirt from the washing machine and throw it into the tumble dryer.
- I put yesterday's washing in the tumble dryer.
- The installation of an industrial tumble dryer means no more trips to the launderette on Skye, an hour away.
- Use a washing line or clothes horse - not a tumble drier.
- In a corner, a tumble drier was perched on top of a washing machine.
- On the left is a utility room plumbed for a washing machine, with a tumble dryer and sink.
- There is plumbing for a washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher.
- The washing machine, tumble drier and freezer in the utility room were all melted by the fire and the house was heavily smoke-logged.
- When he was out they tried to barricade the door with a tumble dryer.
- Heating is by electric storage units and each house has a washing machine, a tumble dryer and a microwave.
- Mr and Mrs Waddington are to take advice over plans to launch legal action against the company which sold them the tumble dryer.
- It is fully plumbed for a washing machine, and tumble dryer.
- When I got back in he had vacuumed, taken the washing out of the tumble dryer and put another load in.
- The next week the lady called out the washing machine man to look at her tumble dryer as thick black smoke was coming out of it.
- Concealed neatly in this part of the house is a tumble dryer and washing machine.
- I've had these in my London homes for years, and I own neither an Aga nor a back-up tumble dryer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.