In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The top price in the sale is likely to be achieved by his stylish Hukin and Heath electroplated soup tureen and cover circa 1880.
- Moments later Pamela was struggling with a heavy tureen into the dining room, doing her best to appear to make light of the burden.
- After the salads comes a selection of different breads, then three large clay pot tureens of soup.
- There were dishes of varying vegetables all steaming temptingly, and tureens of leek and potato soup.
- The platter held a tureen in the shape of a wild boar's head.
- Soon the waiters were ladling soup from their tureens.
- Still doubtful, Meybodi grabbed a piece of fruit from a wooden tureen sitting on the nearby coffee table.
- All our dishes came with tureens of fresh red cabbage, new potatoes, sauté potatoes, carrots and broccoli.
- The casual tabletop setting features a soup tureen as a container for potted plants.
- Dishes and tureens were produced in great quantities at a fraction of their cost in silver.
- Kit grinned, and pulled a tureen of brown liquid toward her.
- Spoon some shellfish meat and vegetables into six small soup tureens and cover with some of the bisque.
- The tureen of gazpacho was perfectly chilled, with a smooth texture and refreshing tomato and cucumber flavours.
- A few minutes later, a silver tureen was set in front of me.
- Maybe we should come back for the Sunday lunch of two meats served with a tureen of fresh seasonable vegetables, roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding for just £4.95.
- The fish are rapidly boiled in an aromatic broth and are removed to a platter; the broth is served in a tureen.
- Here, you'll salivate over robust noodle dishes laced with shrimp, onions and won tun, served in steaming tureens.
- The soup arrived in a steaming tureen, accompanied by a separate plate full of tender pork, salted duck egg, crispy pak choi, sliced carrot and Chinese mushroom.
- Last night in Central Market while I waited for one of the ‘foodies’ to refill the beef and barley soup tureen I watched two immaculately suited and coifed little old ladies dole out broccoli and cheese soup.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.