In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(bird sound)gorjeo masculinopío (pío) masculino
- The gentle tweet of a bird can be heard and your bones sing with the effortless music of its voice.
- And later still, when I ambled around the estates, listening to the sweet tweet of the birds and the occasional joy-rider, there was no nip in the air.
- While the next Great Backyard Bird Count is ten months away, now is a fine time for novices to get outside and figure out the source of all those jubilant chirps, tweets, and whistles that fill the spring air.
- The melodious chirps, chirrups, tweets, twitters and warbling notes from the winged visitors blend well with the incessant hum, buzz and drone of innumerable insects, to produce the effect of being inside a vast forest.
- The chirp and tweet of the feathery creatures greet one as one nears this market beyond Laad Bazar.
- The tweet of a bird sounded by and Terika's eyes welled up with frightened tears.
- On our traveling, there was silence, except for the occasional tweets of birds and the soft blow of the wind.
- Not a single warble, tweet, or chirp can be heard - nothing but the faint buzz of insects, the passing hum of a distant airplane, and the hushed rustle of the wind.
- One blackbird wearing an orange beak sat on a branch and made a faint noise like a rubber duck with its whistle full of pudding, a tweet with the edges rubbed smooth.
- Yet, this area failed to similarly activate when the animals heard a variety of other sounds - bells, tones, dog barks, bird tweets, a human voice, scrambled monkey calls, etc.
2(in social networking)tuit masculino
- I'd love to be there, but I get the tweets and the texts, and everyone keeps me informed.
- We'll keep taking your phone calls and a little more than 15 minutes for your tweets as I have been told they are called and your phone calls.
- She didn't bring up his tweets, unfortunately.
- State Representative Charles A. Murphy, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, has some of the best tweets.
- The impact of the news was especially dramatic online, with 30 per cent of Twitter's activity featuring tweets about the star.
- She is receiving tweets from all over the world about the president's speech.
- Personally, I'm into the music and arts scene, so I limit my "tweets" to events I feel worth sharing with friends who care.
- The actress is a self- proclaimed Twitter addict and has posted over 2,000 tweets since joining Twitter just a few months ago.
- I may even initiate my own (hopefully) informative or amusing tweets.
- A couple of tweets already coming in from that rather confrontational interview we did moments ago with Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County.
- Outgoing chief Jonathan Schwartz announced his farewell with a haiku tweet.
- I'm going to show you some tweets now.
- We will check on some of the tweets.
- Having someone write your blogs and tweets can be dangerous unless you are honest about it.
- Let's look at a couple of tweets, if we can.
- This is not the first time that Mrs Bercow's "tweets" have raised eyebrows.
- Similarly, I have to remind myself: Tweets are not email.
- They'll tell you all you need to know: realtime is a stream of tweets.
- Tweets are created by fans of the programme, a move that was given the green light by AMC.
- John Duncan, Britain's Twittering ambassador for multilateral arms control and disarmament, says he uses tweets to talk to experts and journalists interested in non-proliferation issues.
1(to make a sound)piargorjear
2España(in social networking)tuiteartwittear América Latina
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.