In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If you talk like a Texan, you are a two-fisted he-man who knows life's hardships and are ready to scrap at a moment's notice.
- He's been described as a ‘transcendent singer and two-fisted gutter poet’, notorious for his drug and alcohol-fuelled excesses.
- Although ‘Biff ‘leaves much to be desired as Spillane's two-fisted hero, the film looks even better today than it did in 1953.’
- Martin also enjoyed Edwards' creation of a ‘larger-than-life, Hunter S. Thompson-type, two-fisted, hard-drinking persona.’
- Colin Farrell's reputation as a bad boy will climb several notches after the blistering one-two delivery of Intermission's opening sequence in which a shop assistant is charmed and then floored by Farrell's two-fisted thug.
- He was such a big man: it looked like he was trying to get drunk, the two-fisted way he was drinking.
- Lyd's from the two-fisted school of private detectives - two-fisted shooting, drinking, fighting, you name it.
- Jonny Quest's brand of two-fisted action draws from all of these themes, updated with a strong undercurrent of cold war science.
- Longshoremen have a rep for being heavy-drinking, two-fisted tough guys.
- They don't make 'em like this two-fisted rough-and-tumble war series anymore.
- I do actually agree with the underlying aim of the article - two-fisted opposition to the EU and to Britain's subjugation by it.
- We want a two-fisted God who comes up like thunder, and we are offended by one who puts himself/herself at our mercy and who now and then looks a lot like our Uncle Fred.
- Expect two-fisted thrillers from Jeffery Deaver and Dale Brown.
- The page is forthright in its views and in the two-fisted way it expresses them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.