In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(car/plane) biplaza(car/plane) de dos plazas
- This two-seater roadster looks much better with the roof down rather than up; it is transformed into an Audi TT wannabe at a fraction of the price.
- Adrian found his way around the shoes and handed Nicky a cup of coffee, before sitting at the other end of the two-seater sofa.
- With one big leap they all stood from the two-seater couch that had been seating four and took deep breaths.
- In the back is a two-seater settee that converts into a double bed.
- Rear passenger space is a bit on the small side, almost making this a two-seater, but you could shoehorn in a couple of adults at a push.
- There is no such rule as one backside per seat; four people can and will squeeze onto a two-seater bench.
- The damage to the lounge area was considerable, taking its toll of two two-seater settees, desks, cabinets, carpets and curtains.
- Niche cars are out of control in the modern world and if you want a two-seater Sports Utility MPV Hatchback Turbo, you'll find it somewhere.
- Consequently, a two-seater van would not be practical.
- Lewis had been drinking and was ‘showing off’ to two teenage boys sitting together in the passenger seat of his two-seater sports car.
- In the meantime I have placed the brown squab couch adjacent the grey two-seater sofa bed, and voila - my own lounger in the window.
- I sat down next to him on our beige two-seater couch, folding my hands in my lap.
- He reached for her, but she discouraged him momentarily with a gesture, directing him to sit down on a maroon two-seater sofa.
- Now you're ready to speed off and enjoy the rare glory that is topless motoring in a high-performance two-seater.
- Juice was sitting on the two-seater sofa and Sarah took her place next to him, pouring them each a drink.
- When BMW, Mercedes and Porsche introduced two-seaters at twice the Miata's sticker, the category exploded.
- Closeness to their passenger presumably fosters romance too, a traditional if sometimes overlooked virtue of the two-seater roadster.
- There was a comfy-looking two-seater sofa across from a small television set, and Mark seemed to be heading towards it.
- It was making so much noise I moved out into the lounge room to sleep but unfortunately my sofas are only two-seaters and very uncomfortable for sleeping.
- First is the Opel Speedster, a two-seater sportscar in the no-compromise tradition.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.