In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1casa pequeña de dos plantas con dos habitaciones en cada una
- She lived in a two-up two-down flat in Sydney Road, Sutton, which was earmarked for demolition as part of the best value review.
- There is a small internal entrance porch typical of a two-up two-down cottage to the front.
- Life wouldn't be as glam as in the original show, they wouldn't be as rich, and they'd be more likely to be living in a rented two-up two-down in Leeman Road than an art deco-style loft apartment.
- I remember the houses, all two-up two-down, and barely having enough money to eat.
- A year ago, two-up two-down terraced houses there sold for about £135,000; now they're worth about £25,000 - £30,000 more.
- In 2001 two-up two-downs could easily be bought for £15,000.
- In Drumcondra, there's a good selection of two-up two-down terraced houses off Botanic Avenue and on St Clement's Road but these are on the expensive side, selling for between €350,000 and €400,000.
- These were solid, industrial two-up two-down types, contrasting both in form and location with the earlier houses built higher up the hillside.
- ‘Take the kids and go back up to Yorkshire,’ he said, so my grandmother - with an eight-year-old boy, three girls aged six, four and two, and a new baby (my dad) - went back to Barnsley to live with her parents in a two-up two-down in Old Mill Lane.
- A two-up two-down terrace in Didsbury will set you back £250,000 and the bigger detached period houses are nearing £1m.
- I was brought up in a two-up two-down in Ordsall and taught to respect people.
- I was raised and lived till I was married in a traditional two-up two-down terraced house with no bathroom and an outside toilet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.