In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(alemán) submarino masculino
- In 1939 he was an officer sailing in convoys that faced German U-boats in the desperate bid to keep Britain supplied with food and vital raw materials.
- Six months after Pearl Harbor, U-boats landed eight German marines on American shores for sabotage missions.
- During WWII, German U-boats sank more than 5000 merchant vessels and many Allied warships.
- The first clutch of eggs were spotted by a local diving instructor during a training dive on the remains of one of the WWI German U-boats wrecked here in 1920.
- This approach would be similar to that adopted to fight German U-boats in the Second World War.
- The war news was bad, including the bombing of English cities in the Battle of Britain and British naval losses to German U-boats in the Atlantic.
- It was torpedoed by a German U-boat towards the end of World War Two.
- Just as in the First World War, U-boats nearly brought the UK to its knees.
- The ship is thought to have been torpedoed by a U-boat in World War One.
- In all, 55 ships, submarines, U-boats and airplanes were sunk in Narvik harbour and the surrounding fjord.
- The Royal Oak, a Royal Navy flagship, was sunk by a German U-boat in Scapa Flow off Orkney near the start of the second world war.
- As part of the surrender terms, the Royal Navy received 176 U-boats as spoils of war.
- The planes were catapulted to search and attack the German U-boat wolf packs that were sinking droves of ships in convoys.
- They recovered code-books and minefield plans from sunken German U-boats in World War One.
- Much of the shipping heading to and from Scapa Flow during the two world wars passed through the Moray Firth, where German U-boats lay in wait, so there is no shortage of wrecks.
- German U-boats, sometimes assisted by Italian submarines, were the main weapon of attack, but aircraft and surface raiders also participated.
- In his book, he raises the possibility that a German spy, based in Scotland, may have helped lead the U-boat into Scapa Flow.
- His assumption is based on research he has done into the sinking of the Lusitania, which was downed by a German U-boat during World War One.
- It was only discovered by chance in 2001 by a diving party searching for the wreck of a naval destroyer sunk by a U-boat during World War Two.
- German U-boats sank the battleship Barham in the east and the carrier Ark Royal, which had helped keep Malta supplied with aircraft, in the west.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.