In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1¡puf! coloquial¡puaj! coloquial
- He admitted to not having hoovered his carpet for 5 months (and they found carpet beetles in it, ugh!
- Yes, it can be totally inconvenient, and some aspects can be pretty uncomfortable (like killer cramps - ugh!)
- Its Mr Hamalton's way of teaching us responsibly on looking after kids… Plus as if that's not bad enough tomorrow night is Parent / Teacher night… ugh!
- I'm so distracted all the time, I just can't stop thinking about him and… ugh!
- Elise looked hungrily over the various dishes: Soup with soft dumplings, crunchy Yugandian rice with chunks of fruit, tikmollusks in sauce - ugh!
- We don't know where to go next though, and she is too tired to wake up… ugh!
- I would prefer to do it myself, but I can't at the moment, I know that… ugh, I feel disgusting.
- she screamed and began punching his chest, ‘You're despicable and heartless and ugh!’
- So, Friday night, and we're busy prepping for Mondays shoot (a 5am start - ugh!)
- The flashing yellow teeth, the gray fur… and ugh!
- A woman behind me very loudly started to say to her companions, ‘Oh my god, it's so disgusting, ugh I'm going to throw up, yeuch, I can almost feel myself getting cancer etc. etc.’
- And all that strenuous, self-improvement stuff people do - ugh!
- Of course, I wouldn't want to hear an album full of Criss's low-cal mewling (I will, though… ugh!
- I know people can be bitter sometimes, but do you have to be so… ugh!
- When I heard I was going to be testing a station wagon, my initial impression was ugh!
- Tia jumped up to her feet, ‘You are a little… ugh!’
- And those, those thralls - their eyes - their longing gazes… ugh!
- I'm getting paid for it, of course, but still - ugh!
- Afterwards, though, I headed back to my room and had dinner by myself from the room service menu - ugh!
- Today…… I should be in work, I'm not, I'm ill… ugh!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.