In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Everest is just one of many thousands of mountains in this world, most of which remain unclimbed.
- But in 1970, a rival Italian mountaineer sparked doubts about the Cerro Torre ascent when he suggested in a magazine article that the peak was still unclimbed.
- Earlier this year, he was one of a group of mountaineers who climbed 15 previously unclimbed peaks in Greenland.
- I want to sail across the Pacific, I want to climb an unclimbed mountain in South America.
- In May of 1985, Simpson and his partner Simon Yates set out to scale the west face of Siula Grande, a hitherto unclimbed peak in Peru.
- Based on a true story, it recalls how two ambitious mountaineers set out to conquer a previously unclimbed peak in the Peruvian Andes in 1985.
- Join us for 10 days of trekking to the base of the highest unclimbed peak in the world, Gangkar Puensum.
- He was an early member of the Canterbury Mountaineering Club and in the course of his entire career climbed around 100 peaks, at least 23 of them previously unclimbed.
- The mountain remained unclimbed for the next 22 years, till an Indian Army team made it up the North east spur to the North ridge from the Sikkim side in 1977.
- Although they found the unclimbed 6,618 metre mountain, which is also known as Mount Edgar, their ascent was halted by heavy snow, avalanches and dehydration.
- A British team of mountaineers led by Dr Charles Evans had conquered mighty Kanchenjunga in the Himalayas, up to that point the highest unclimbed peak in the world, reaching within five vertical feet of the summit.
- My partners and I plan to attempt three unclimbed 20,000-foot peaks.
- In 1952, Norgay accompanied Raymond Lambert on a Swiss expedition to within 800 vertical feet of the still unclimbed summit of Everest.
- In 1975 Scott became one of the first two Britons to reach the summit of Everest via the previously unclimbed southwest face.
- In the summer of 1975, a young climber named David Breashears set his sights on a beautiful, unclimbed sheet of rock rising from the ground on a cliff south of Boulder.
- ‘There are thousands of unclimbed mountains and I haven't been to Antarctica yet,’ he said.
- At 7,541m, Gangkhar Puensum remains the world's highest unclimbed summit.
- Climbing with Chris Bonington and several other top British climbers, Venables was abseiling high on the sacred and unclimbed Himalayan mountain of Panch Chuli V when the Slender Thread of the book's title gave way.
- It is the world's third highest peak - at the time it was the highest left unclimbed - and, technically, a harder climb than Everest.
- In October 1969, Robinson and Yvon Chouinard found themselves staring at Polemonium Peak's V-Notch, an unclimbed ice chute leading to the summit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.