In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It needed to stir the imagination the way acres of unclothed nubile young bodies had in the nudie cutie movie.
- He said people shopping with their children were embarrassed by the poster and many felt the unclothed Sophie wasn't suitable viewing for the festive season.
- Yes, everyone's a beautiful person inside, and we're all wonderful just the way we are, but his unclothed body in a mirror directly above his head was a little unsettling.
- He spat at Esteban as he and his unclothed companion strode quickly toward the front door.
- Staff at the South Infirmary Hospital were alerted on Monday to the unclothed baby girl lying in a blue hold-all on the boot of an Audi car.
- On the way, he locked the door to make sure no one accidentally came upon them unclothed.
- Hualien police said they found two unclothed female corpses on a riverbed yesterday.
- Other photographs showed unclothed prisoners shackled to their cells with hoods or women's underwear over their heads.
- Lathrop's care in describing the figures as ‘undraped’ rather than nude is indicative of the complicated moral territory occupied by the unclothed human body in art.
- Strictly speaking, the comparison is between an unclothed individual moving through calm air at a brisk walking pace and that same individual moving through wind.
- At this late date in the history of Victorian studies, no one is going to be surprised by a Victorian interest in the unclothed figure.
- The thief looks at the unclothed, bruised and bloodied body of Jesus, hanging in pitiful humiliation, and sees his glorious Saviour and mighty King.
- They were both unclothed.
- The former is a small canvas that represents a hairless, unclothed doll propped on a white tabletop.
- Stories about a wild man - often envisioned as an unclothed man, hairy and incorrigible as a beast - were widespread in medieval Europe.
- In 1854, however, the unexpected but long-desired occurred: a truly unclothed woman on a horse crashed the pageant, creating pandemonium, and suspending the pageant for a full eight years.
- I tried to turn away still embarrassed at my unclothed state.
- In Greece, nude referred to the unclothed body of a man.
- I grabbed the cloak and wrapped it around my unclothed body.
- They see him in one role only: the stern disciplinarian driven by an unshakable belief that God and he are as one, a man so prudish he can't tolerate unclothed statuary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.