In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The overburdened, under-financed hospital was itself an unnerving environment for the meeting.
- The national states have grown weak and underfinanced, and this needs to be remedied.
- As the entire public health care system in Poland is notoriously underfinanced, the rather costly methadone maintenance does not constitute a priority concern.
- The underfinanced, little-publicized campaign of Mr. Kennedy, 38, is not likely to get many votes on Tuesday.
- The money is badly needed to improve care in these underfinanced, overworked centers.
- The task of creating a coherent, statewide system for indigent defense out of the current hodgepodge of underfinanced defenders has been put off for too long.
- Catlin is almost militant in his view that the system is grossly underfinanced.
- Lancaster, 54, had been unfairly blamed for the failings of an antiquated and underfinanced department with a long history of corruption, inefficiency and missing records.
- And what tripped him up was a race against an underfinanced opponent most people on Long Island still cannot name.
- Konig has said that an expanded budget is crucial to restoring what he called the "chronically underfinanced" Ludwig Museum to its onetime prominence.
- This bizarre situation has come to pass because of a mistake by an underfinanced and understaffed government agency.
- The origins of those crises are fantastically complex, and the underfinanced national states cannot begin to cope.
- Public higher education has been badly under financed for a decade.
- On Friday, the council voted to speed up planning for a UN peacekeeping force to be sent to Darfur to relieve underfinanced African Union troops.
- Introduced two years ago by President Vladimir V. Putin, the tax was designed to bring order to the chaos of the chronically underfinanced state budget.
- The military health system is seriously undermanned and underfinanced for the number of casualties coming home.
- Researchers have also recently found that people in grammar schools do better than pupils in underfinanced inner-city hell-hole comprehensives.
- Bashir has put conditions on a UN peacekeeping force to bolster the underfinanced 7,000 African Union troops, now in Darfur.
- The old Lincoln Hospital was in a building that had been condemned and was severely understaffed and under-financed.
- He banned birth control and left under-financed state institutions to care for the wave of abandoned children that followed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.