In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(unfastened)your fly is undone — tienes la bragueta abierta
- your shoelaces are undone — llevas los pasadores desamarrados
- to come undone — deshacerse
- this knot won't come undone — es imposible desatar este nudo
- Jennifer sat on her bed, pulling the zippers up and down, as if the answer would pop out of the undone zipper.
- Alex took the stairs two at a time, careful not to split her red and black uniformed skirt, a few buttons at her collared white shirt undone due to the heat.
- With no shoulders, the top is held in place by a black neck strap shaped exactly like an undone bow tie.
- The top two buttons are undone and sleek pants and black shoes complete his ensemble.
- He is trying to compete with David's undone buttons.
- He is energy itself dressed in increasingly undone whites.
- There are dark black fishnets underneath the white dress shirt, his tie's undone and the school blazer's lying in a crumpled heap on the floor.
- The Walrus interrupted me at every possible opportunity, didn't listen to anything I said, sponged a coffee from me and sat there with his vast belly showing through an undone button in his shirt.
- In Athol and in Kensington, I see some houses that have been empty so long their curtains have given up holding on, have come undone thread by thread.
- For the latter, there are numerous shots of Barrymore and Diaz with plunging necklines and undone buttons.
- My raven black hair was held back in a messy high ponytail that was nearly coming undone due to the ungodly humidity of that state.
- The shirt was that little bit too pink, there was one button too many left carefully-casually undone and the tan was a shade and a half too dark.
- Her undone dark hair falls across brown eyes that are direct and intelligent.
- Running a hand through her hair, the girl finished off the last undone button on her dress and opened the door, meekly letting Amelia in.
- This can be done with a cute cardigan or blazer with undone buttons; this look will also lengthen your shape.
- Even from where I stood, I could see a few undone buttons.
- The sound of his heels on the wooden planks was a sturdy percussion, mixed in perfect time to the heavy rubbing of his sheath, and the jangle of the undone belts of his coat.
- Qiara began to chew thoughtfully and play with the undone laces of her Converse All-Stars.
- Now Rod Stewart has gone subtle and chosen an undone tie to mark his move into Sinatra territory.
2sin empezarsin terminarthe job was left undone — el trabajo no se llegó a empezar/no se terminó
- The demand for productivity has grown so significantly that no one feels they are doing enough; everyone looks at the undone workload and feels inadequate.
- Alio almost hit him for that, but he restrained himself, even if he could explain it off as just a serge of anger for an undone job.
- Out here, an undone chore is like a slow leak in a life raft - it threatens the stability of everything.
- Nadia put Jo's things on her undone bed.
- But when the filter is in the attic or somewhere else that is fairly inaccessible, this becomes an odious chore that is often left undone.
- She reached up and gave her dad a kiss on the cheek and a hug before leaving for her room for undone homework.
- Teachers who don't pull their weight in the system dump their undone work onto teachers who are competent, making it almost impossible for those teachers to be optimally effective.
- The guys' pad has food scraps as decoration and stacks of undone dishes.
- His black backpack was still slumped by his desk and the undone homework atop was weeks late.
- It was filled with undone homework and re-runs of Boy Meets World.
- We had great warm evenings for sitting out late and it was really relaxing without any means of doing those undone tasks at home.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.