In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to be unfitted for sth — no servir / no estar hecho para algo
- As things had worked out Stein had had the unusual experience of being a genuine supremo in his first managerial job and he was subsequently unfitted for any subordinate command.
- Burnside knew that he was unfitted to command an army, but was widely liked despite his failings.
- Thus, to train children to perform mental operations, or to practice tasks, for which they are unfitted, is a crime against nature.
- The lives of Nicholas and Alexandra were tragic because both had endearing qualities and both found themselves playing roles for which they were quite unfitted.
- They are wholly unfitted, by temperament and training, for the cut-throat, hard-nosed commercial environment in which they now find themselves.
- The serious failings of Univan led to a ship and a crew unfitted for the foreseeable eventualities of the voyage.
- But try to imagine a personality wholly unfitted for the rough and tumble of the world's labour-market.
- He sat down with his Bible to equip himself for a calling to which he felt unfitted by temperament, inclination, and physical health.
- He was sadly unfitted for hating his best friend or for torturing his wife.
- They declared him unfitted to receive that blessing, and urged that he be required to be educated into that capacity.
- It is to be remarked that a good many people are born curiously unfitted for the fate waiting them on this earth.
- It is painful to admit, but it is incontrovertibly true, that a large number of those now occupied in nursing are totally unfitted for the duties they are called upon to perform.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.