In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1imperturbablehe's completely unflappable — no se altera por nada
- However, Waterloo was unflappable and withstood the charge.
- A brief wave of nausea broke through her normally unflappable control.
- We met the horrors of two world wars and an IRA bombing campaign with an unflappable determination to carry on: we will face this threat just the same.
- Malati, a sedate old female, was a placid soul, unflappable even in a crisis.
- It was a supremely rational column that made it sound like I had it all together, unflappable in the face of grief.
- It was my brother that was always reckoned to be the laid back, unflappable one.
- They are much like their coach: cool, unflappable, yet willing to methodically rip out your heart.
- He seemed solid, unflappable, disciplined and optimistic, a man who would get off the canvas quickly if felled and resume with a smile.
- He was absolutely unflappable even when Ganguly was out.
- Usually unflappable, the German-born cardinal choked with emotion.
- His unflappable dispassionate calm is an end in itself.
- For almost all his career he's been regarded as one of the game's more astute players - unflappable, controlled.
- Robert was calm and unflappable and never seemed to get upset whatever stresses he was under.
- Unfortunately, Lone is so unflappable and in control that it's difficult to actively dislike him.
- However, he does have the habit of taking his unflappable approach on to the pitch when a bit of flap is badly needed, especially when chasing down an opposition kick.
- The unflappable Northern Ireland international has a presence and confidence about him that is obviously rubbing off on his fellow defenders.
- For a quiet, level-headed lad, who is usually so composed and unflappable on the pitch, the prospect is one that exhilarates.
- With nearly 10 years of work in the region, Mr Sharratt has won renown as an unflappable lawyer with a passion for the heat of the court room.
- Completely unflappable, she always seemed in control, and her sunny personality shone through.
- His normally unflappable image flagged when he failed to secure China's entry to the WTO during his U.S. trip last April.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.