In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) trastornar(person) desquiciar(mind) trastornar
- The shock unhinges their mother, whose hormones have already been scrambled by post-natal depression.
- Oh, I don't know - I tell people (a few select people) about my dreams, mainly trustworthy friends who won't then look at me as if I'm unhinged.
- The artistically talented but intellectually unhinged cartoonist Tommy Tomorrow affirms the judgment: ‘This is brilliant.’
- The thing is, you have to read the whole platform to see how dangerously unhinged these people really are.
- Needless to say, the whole event with Debbie left me unhinged for a while.
- Inexplicable things happen to irrational people; unhinged persons zigzag across an unmoored world.
- Is X going to think I am completely unhinged now?
- Charles could look to the future with a reasonable optimism that he would secure a modest triumph over his occasionally unhinged enemies.
- Perhaps the blame for our fascination with the violent acts of unhinged minds should be laid to rest at the creaking door of the Bates motel.
- Completely unhinged by madness, she raised he hand and threw the dagger at Kathryn.
- Meanwhile, a mentally unhinged former lover is stalking her, and the serial killer has struck again.
- The experience seems to have unhinged him, since he bursts into the Hydrogen Cave ranting about a mysterious Referee X who is frustrating his attempts at publication.
- But if, at times, she does appear to be over-the-top, I don't think it's because she's unhinged.
- Born of the Great Depression, the brothers were unhinged maniacs with no roots, no ties, no responsibilities, fighting back on behalf of the disenfranchised little man.
- There does not seem to be a motive or a reason why, other than like I say, that this person was totally unhinged.
- Glenn Close is an actress with five Academy Award nominations under her belt, one of which is for the role for which I will always remember her: the mentally unhinged mistress in Fatal Attraction.
- My mother was unhinged about potential optic damage.
- Eventually, being Orwell's widow unhinged her.
- I could be over-reacting about this, but if I'm being completely honest with you, the possibilities of what could've happened today have unhinged me a little.
- Radically unfit to raise her daughter, or even cross the street, Yuen comes unhinged and retreats into a fantasy world.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.