In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Five food stores in Tooting have been temporarily closed down in the last two months for being dirty, unhygienic and riddled with vermin.
- Poor environmental sanitation and unhygienic personal habits appear to predispose them to the risk of infections.
- More than half the eating places visited by Oldham council officials in the last three months were dirty and unhygienic and had to be served with enforcement notices.
- I do not understand why the municipal public health and hygiene authorities are not able to tighten their control over unhygienic establishments.
- Perhaps this is the reason why it remains uncared for, unsightly, filthy and unhygienic.
- At some schools, parents formed working bees on weekends to clean unhygienic toilet blocks.
- Well, 99% of this street food is made and served in the most unhygienic and filthy conditions.
- Unclean bottles or those washed with water stored in unhygienic conditions can cause diarrhoea in infants.
- As the Evening Press Easter investigation had found, many were dirty and unhygienic - hardly creating the best impression.
- The conditions are so unhygienic and ugly-the rooms are not even sanitized, cleaned, or air-conditioned.
- The unhygienic practice of open defecation leads to contamination of water sources and high incidence of disease.
- For example, why should our cities and villages be so unclean and unhygienic?
- What food is available is frequently contaminated because of pollution and unhygienic conditions.
- Would we stop buying and become filthy / unhygienic cretins?
- But urgent refurbishments on things such as faulty lifts, damaged fire alarms, unhygienic kitchens and poor sanitation were also needed.
- This is not only unhygienic but also adds to the environment pollution.
- The toilet facilities in most grounds are a disgrace - they're unhealthy, unhygienic and should be levelled and rebuilt.
- They are unsightly, unhygienic, and at times unsafe.
- There are gaps between the new and the old tiles that will be difficult to clean and therefore unhygienic.
- Why did it have to be the audit commission that lambasted hospitals for being filthy and unhygienic?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.