In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1impropio de una dama(of young lady) impropio de una señorita
- Charlotte snorted in a very unladylike manner.
- And what an elegant arm it will be - free of those unladylike biceps that result from particular physical activities in which you won't be partaking.
- My large, stupid smile almost developed into a burst of loud, unladylike laughter.
- The girl gave an unladylike snort and returned to her conversation.
- Unlike her somewhat clumsy, unladylike friend, Crystal was a born Lady.
- Dolly was close to incandescent in her outrage, and swore at me in a most unladylike manner.
- ‘Maybe it's because it's considered unladylike to shove the whole thing in your mouth at once,’ I offered.
- As I plunged; or jumped, arms flailing, into the icy river, my unladylike descent was watched in complete disbelief by Horrified Friend and about 10 blokes.
- She may be unladylike, but she certainly was not uncivilized!
- Cal snorted in an extremely unladylike and inelegant way, and spoke to her girlfriend.
- And an unladylike girl like you will never get a boyfriend.
- Brittany gushed, shoving her hand into her bag in the most unladylike way - honestly, you'd think I've never been kind enough to try to right her many wrongs, but does she listen?
- It simply wouldn't do if such unladylike words slipped from thoughts to speech.
- I had to bite my lip in order to keep from saying something rude and unladylike, even for the heir to a war lady's territory.
- The people were obviously quite shocked by her unladylike behaviour but recovered quickly to see how the other girl would react.
- She asked me so many things, about magic and vampires until we both were yawning in a way that my grandmother would have called unladylike.
- But poured into a wine glass, because pint glasses are also unladylike.
- She was failing miserably though as I heard her snort in an unladylike manner.
- British ‘sauce’ was added by way of Harcourt's lecherous leanings and the women's frank discussions on subjects once deemed unladylike.
- This caused me to appear unladylike by squinting to read the contract that lay on the table before me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.