In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(unfortunate)(person) sin suerte(person) desafortunado(day) funesto(day) de mala suerteto be unlucky — tener mala suerte
- I was unlucky enough to bump into her — tuve la mala suerte de encontrármela
- we were very unlucky with the weather — tuvimos muy mala suerte con el tiempo
- The visitors were unlucky to see Alan Inns have a shot cleared off the line and Currie head against a post.
- It might be unlucky for some, but the Reebok hit man is aiming to hit 13 this season.
- Steeton reserves were unlucky to go down to a one goal defeat at league leaders Bay Athletic.
- McFadden's character is unlucky in love and a nasty piece of work because of it.
- There was a much improved performance and we were unlucky not to get at least a draw.
- Pool gave a debut to ex-Yew Tree striker Ben Kelly but he was unable to prevent an unlucky defeat.
- Marton cum Grafton were unlucky not to share the points in their home game with Hemingbrough.
- The worst case scenario is when you are unlucky enough to have someone you love or your family murdered.
- They will probably feel a bit unlucky they did not defeat Warrington last weekend.
- Sersea was unlucky at the start of the final period when the puck rung against the pipes and shot back into play.
- One man I thought was unlucky not to make any of the trips was Kent's David Fulton.
- He was in the tent with the unlucky ones and it was only after 40 minutes or so that he put them out of their misery.
- One was to tell me how unlucky I was not to have been selected and the other was to invite me to attend for interview.
- The Big Brother housemates have chosen two unlucky plebs who face eviction on Friday.
- Now I come to think of it, Hampden Park has been rather an unlucky ground for me.
- Brady was unlucky to lose his first fight, but won the next two before losing in the semi final to take bronze.
- Matt Bianco was also unlucky when he faced Scottish champion Ian Mathison in a return bout.
- If your middle name is unlucky, you may never get that far before the next season's floods arrive.
- It was a bold gesture because they have both preciously been unlucky in love.
- Howarth was unlucky to see his attempted clearance cannon back off the winger.
2(bringing bad luck)(omen) funesto(omen) nefasto(object) que trae mala suertewearing green is unlucky — vestir de verde trae mala suerte
- I was born under an unlucky star — nací con mala estrella
- 4 is my unlucky number — el 4 me trae mala suerte
- this house is unlucky — esta casa trae mala suerte
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.