In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(without identification)(banknotes) sin marcar(grave) sin nombreunmarked car — coche particular masculino — utilizado por la policía
- The officers were sitting in an unmarked police car when the man shot at the windscreen with a handgun, showering them with glass and injuring one officer in the eye.
- The door was unmarked and completely blank except for a single word written in a dark red script: Wayward.
- The cemetery on the hill contains 40 freshly dug graves, unmarked and identical.
- It was followed by an unmarked police car with a ‘film crew’ on board.
- Keith Ballinger, prosecuting, said that police in an unmarked patrol car saw Hewlett close to the junction with Whiteman Street at about 9pm.
- Second, she had been able to identify many of the unmarked graves where stones had broken or fallen down.
- Help is still needed to identify unmarked graves in Bonniconlon new cemetery.
- Last weekend, after the three of us came back from the park, we saw a police van and unmarked car in our parking lot.
- Their remains were unearthed in March from unmarked graves and identified by DNA testing with the help of Argentinian forensic experts.
- WPC Milburn was accompanied home to Birstall by one marked and two unmarked police cars containing about six armed officers.
- Eyewitnesses reported that riot vans, unmarked cars and several police vehicles surrounded the yard as officers armed with revolvers and machine guns stormed the site.
- She eventually pushed her attacker away and ran back out into the road where she got help from police officers in an unmarked car.
- The researchers found about 80 marked or unmarked graves.
- Police video footage showed Jackson meeting police at an airport in California and getting into an unmarked police car.
- An unmarked police car, which had its siren sounding and lights flashing, was following a blue Volvo S40 T4 at 9.40 pm on Tuesday night.
- Witnesses counted at least 21 marked police cars plus several unmarked ones parked nearby.
- Due to human error at some stage, this section of yellow line markings was left unmarked.
- He was caught doing 58 mph in a 50 mph zone by an unmarked police car, held his hands up and paid the £60 fine with three points.
- There was a big forensic mobile lab, there were about a dozen marked and unmarked police cars from the Sheriff's Department.
- Sinn Fein is understood to have given assurances of fresh co-operation to identify their unmarked graves, allowing their families to lay them to rest.
- Ten minutes later her son has put on his trainers and is escorted back to school in an unmarked police car.
1.2(without stains, marks)sin marcasa face unmarked by age — una cara por la que no han pasado los años
- But their pressure paid off after 48 minutes when Wellens retrieved a deep corner and Keith Southern was unmarked to nod his cross home.
- The Juninho's superbly 40 yard ball found the unmarked Ziege on the left.
- On the left edge of the Kilmarnock penalty area, the Dundee United captain Derek McInnes slid the ball to the unmarked McIntyre on his outside.
- Why Furio didn't just pass the bloody thing to Pirlo, totally unmarked 18 yards out, I don't know.
- McBreen, a super find, rattled a fine cross into the unmarked Moutinho, who prodded the ball past helpless Colin Scott.
- Fenton squandered St Mirren's best chance by firing a shot over the bar when a square ball would have found McPhee unmarked.
- From a corner, the ball fell to Jesper Hjorth unmarked at the far post.
- Seconds later he was on the edge of the other box feeding his unmarked team-mate a goal on a plate.
- Burns ran through on to a ball from Pearson and crossed to Lasley unmarked once again at the back post.
- A poor kickout from Gillick fell to the feet of David Sheridan who spotted Maloney unmarked.
- Severus ' immediate response was to force two corners and a free-kick, the unmarked Ducey wasting a fine chance.
- Halifax had taken a deserved lead on 31 minutes when Lee Elam was inexplicably left unmarked at a throw-in close to the corner flag.
- A Chris Kerr free kick was headed down by Scott Walker to Graham Fenton, standing eight yards out and unmarked.
- Larsson sent the ball into an empty area in front of goal and Svensson, unmarked on the run, made no mistake.
- They soon took the lead as defensive confusion left two players unmarked to slot the ball past a stranded Vicky Prigg before half-time.
- His goal was struck low past Pauric Kelly after Ian Fitzgerald slid through a sublime ball to find the Arles-Kilcruise man unmarked.
- Windermere started brightly and twice went close themselves before an unmarked attacker gleefully took Lytham's first chance of the game.
- Probably the best chance came after 61 minutes when a ball into the area found Nugent unmarked with the goal at his mercy.
- Mackie's cross from the right was flicked over his head by Robbie Winters, who had spotted Ricardo Bisconti moving unmarked into the left of the box.
- Elam crossed the ball from the left, where Lee was unmarked at the far post to slot the ball home.
3(uncorrected)(exams/papers) sin corregir(exams/papers) sin calificar
4literario(unnoticed)to go unmarked — pasar desapercibido
- None of them had noticed him; his launch had gone unmarked.
- If Chaucer's death went unmarked in the public world, his loss was deeply felt by the poets who followed after him.
- Well, the first anniversary of this website went unmarked on November 12th.
5Lingüística(form) no marcado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.