In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And for this he had music that was controlled, unobtrusive and keeping with the mood and the situation.
- The birds were constantly on the move, their quiet and unobtrusive progress hiding very considerable speed.
- I don't know if this was because she was just trying to be unobtrusive, or if she thought we were up to some nefarious activity.
- So the Government, too, has been operating in a quiet, unobtrusive manner.
- The music, mainly selections from the 1980s played at a moderate volume, is unobtrusive.
- The unobtrusive dialect and horrifying irony here make this one of Nelson's best lyrics.
- The Netgear WPN824 is a compact, unobtrusive box with several internal antennas, apparently.
- Quiet and unobtrusive in our canoes, we could paddle up close to herds of elephant standing in the shallows and watch as they threw up wet sand to cool off.
- The picture is at its best when Blaustein's unobtrusive film crew eavesdrop on the day-to-day family life of the wrestlers.
- Last week Finance Minister Jaswant Singh, in his quiet and unobtrusive way delivered a triple whammy.
- So pure and yet teeming with cultural meanings, white is at the same time unobtrusive and attention getting.
- The quiet, unobtrusive Scot has gone about his task of having the course in pristine condition.
- I found an unobtrusive niche, a little cliff garden of thrift and sea campion which gave me a vee-shaped eyrie over the water.
- Swenson said most of the Marysville track's events would be small and unobtrusive.
- Edward was a tall man, quiet and unobtrusive, but always managing to sort things out and keep all in order.
- Brill filmed this by sitting with the counsellors and covering the action with unobtrusive moves of his small camera.
- The news was placed in an unobtrusive corner of a local newspaper.
- A quiet, unobtrusive presence, Recoing has been earning effusive praise for this role and rightly so.
- Throughout the meal our waiters were unobtrusive and efficient.
- We drive a Honda Civic, so he has to scrunch down and stick his head in the window, trying to be unobtrusive about it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.