In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For food, Atta would throw unpeeled potatoes into a pot and, when it boiled, mash them into a bowl.
- On a hot griddle, sear the edges (the white flesh) to get a sealed bar effect, then place in a roasting tray with the unpeeled garlic cloves scattered throughout the dish.
- Make the tsatsiki by grating the unpeeled cucumber (chop the ends off first and discard).
- Gilli, a cordon bleu chef, suggests ‘roasting unpeeled cloves of porcelain garlic with potatoes and olive oil in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 C’.
- Boil the beets themselves, unpeeled, until tender (for an hour or more, depending on age and size), then cool and peel.
- Mason's low, slightly strangulated voice is perfect for suggesting the thin-lipped intensity of his newly unpeeled anger.
- Cut the unpeeled potatoes into 1cm thick chip wedges, wash and dry well on kitchen paper.
- Kindergarten carrots are usually tasteless but these unpeeled crunchy delights tasted like distilled essence of carrot and were wonderfully well suited to their Seville orange glaze.
- Place the whole, unpeeled bananas in the freezer for at least six hours.
- For nam prik pao (roasted nam prik) some of the ingredients, especially unpeeled garlic cloves and unpeeled small onions or shallots, are first heated in a heavy iron pan, without added fat.
- First slice the tops and bottoms off the potatoes, which should leave you with unpeeled cylinders around 2.5cm high.
- Well cooked, the skin is as edible as that of a baked potato, and the texture of the flesh seems firmer when cooked unpeeled.
- Place each unpeeled banana on a small baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- I had to be careful and for part of the time avoided anything with uncooked egg, live yoghurt, meat that hadn't been cooked properly, unwashed salad and unpeeled fruit, for fear of food poisoning.
- 2 large Vidalia onions, unpeeled, wrapped in foil, roasted for an hour
- Scrub the potatoes and boil, unpeeled, until just tender.
- I placed an unpeeled onion in my microwave and waited and waited.
- I got an orange, an apple & a banana, unpeeled on a plate, as their rendition of ‘Fruits en Saison’, available any time from the fruit bowl in my room.
- According to the journal Nature, extracts from unpeeled apples, which are particularly high in antioxidants, had the greatest inhibiting effect on cancer cells.
- Both were excellent, although they did made me work for mine, with the prawns coming unpeeled on top of the filo pastry basket the dish was served in.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.