In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He suffered an unprovoked head butt during a night out in November.
- How dare they sell us a war that was unprovoked and unnecessary?
- Lorraine's comment was unprovoked, a direct verbal assault done for the sole purpose of her own malicious pleasure.
- This was an unprovoked, violent assault and whoever carried it out could quite easily do it again.
- In a seemingly unprovoked incident, the attackers hit both men and women in the 16-strong party, with a 72-year-old woman left unconscious.
- Once again we have seen a totally unprovoked and malicious attack carried out on impulse.
- McQuillian, of Colchester CID, said it was important to catch the men as quickly as possible, adding that the stabbing seemed to have been unprovoked.
- We were so shocked at being on the receiving end of such an unprovoked outburst, we had to check with each other that this guy had actually said what we thought he'd said.
- A detective described the violence in Thornhill, Dewsbury, by a gang of white men and women as ‘nasty’ and unprovoked.
- Completely out of the blue this dog made an unprovoked lunge at Atlas and Montgomery, who I did have on a lead.
- It is difficult to imagine the terror he must have felt as that wholly unprovoked attack was carried out on him.
- It is an horrific and extremely cowardly attack, which was totally unprovoked.
- We don't know whether it was unprovoked or whether there had been an incident earlier in the evening.
- He said the girls' parents were appalled to think that ordinary law abiding members of the public could be subjected to such unprovoked violence, especially when with a group.
- The boys' parents are alleged to have carried out the unprovoked assault.
- We have been led to believe that this was an unprovoked outburst of baseless hatred on the part of the German people.
- He is also about 12 years of age and, as far as we know, it was a completely unprovoked assault.
- This isn't some aggrieved person tipped over the edge with a motive to perpetrate evil - this is a seemingly random and unprovoked sequence of events.
- We insist that those responsible for conspiring to wage unprovoked wars and carry out illegal coups must be tried for war crimes.
- The incident appears to be completely unprovoked.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.