In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Nearly all children in developing countries are infected with the bacterium due to unsanitary living conditions.
- I believe I got scabies from the showers by showering in them and, yeah, they're unsanitary; they're filthy.
- Since they have little means of acquiring new clothes or washing existing clothes, they are typically very dirty and unsanitary.
- I didn't want to go to war because my brother, who was wounded at the battle of Mons in 1914, had told me how filthy and unsanitary the trenches were.
- Up until the 19th century abortion was illegal, however this meant that women were forced to get rid of unwanted pregnancies in unsanitary and dangerous conditions.
- There have also been instances where prisoners are prematurely released as a result of the unsanitary conditions at the Police Station.
- The risk of infection increases with duration of travel and is highest for those living in unsanitary conditions, although hepatitis A may also occur in those staying in luxury hotels.
- The strongest physical characteristics may be ruined if the surroundings are unwholesome and unsanitary.
- He had decided to research the incidence of HIV infection inside Carandiru - a confined, unsanitary environment where anal sex and intravenous drug use were rife.
- Joseph himself presided over an adult school in York, where he met with men who lived with their families in cramped, unsanitary homes, existing on less than £1 a week.
- Infant and child mortality are high due to unsanitary living conditions and the unavailability of state-of-the-art medical technology.
- Poor nutrition, contaminated water, and unsanitary living conditions contributed principally to the persistence of disease.
- About two thirds of the buildings in the town are estimated to have suffered notable damage, with as much as half being uninhabitable or providing unsafe and unsanitary living conditions only.
- And again, this is basically due to congested living quarters and unsanitary conditions.
- Water in the mines made for unsanitary conditions.
- Conditions were crowded and unsanitary, and many died in these prisons.
- She would brave bandits, illness, unsanitary, uncomfortable accommodation and even sometimes lack of food in a singleminded pursuit of her goal.
- He said there were three spirit bottles and a glass next to the bed, the room smelled unsanitary, there was clothing on the floor and the door was off its hinges.
- The larger task at hand will be keeping the survivors alive; millions of people who are displaced and vulnerable in these unsanitary conditions.
- For those without compost heaps, their bins will be thoroughly unsanitary after a fortnight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.