In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hasta quehe always waits until I arrive — siempre espera hasta que yo llego / llegue
- please wait until I arrive — por favor espera hasta que yo llegue
- she didn't go to bed until Tom got back — no se acostó hasta que Tom (no) volvió
- I knew she wouldn't go to bed until Tom got back — yo sabía que no se iba a acostar hasta que Tom (no) volviera
- give it to me — not until you say you're sorry — dámelo — hasta que (no) pidas perdón, no (te lo doy)
- it was not until she spoke that I realized who she was — hasta que (no) habló, no me di cuenta de quién era
- You pay by the hour so you can play as many frames as you like until your time runs out.
- If I can get fit and play until the end of the season, it will give me a new lease of life.
- By the way you only have until the end of September to lend your support to this idea.
- You never quite know how a poem sounds until your hear it coming out of a pair of speakers.
- If you want to book a seat in it you'll have to wait until April as they're all booked up.
- He added that the glass was replaced but lasted for less than a month until this week.
- We have lost a lot of stock and are unable to assess the damage until the water levels drop.
- It cannot be long until the first offers appear to pay us a modest fee to sign up to their system.
- Pour it into a saucepan and heat until the flour is cooked and the sauce is thickened.
- Roast at the top of the oven, turning once or twice until the skin is crisp and golden.
- There is a limit on how much you can send and withdraw until you gain verified status.
- The site will not be able to accept this sort of waste until the area is declared safe.
- He is a natural left side player and was doing a good job for us until he was injured.
- They will be kept there until fines have been paid and if they are not they will be crushed.
- They will be kept away from other bees until it is confirmed they are free of disease.
- As soon as the flames go out, add the cider and boil until the liquid has reduced by half.
- They can then remain in the property until they die or have to move into a nursing home.
- The rules are due to change but until then it still pays you to keep your mileage up.
- This one had sat in a tobacco tin for generations until it was valued at a coin fair.
- Up until then it had been very hard on some levels because my family moved around a lot.
1hastahe's / he'll be in London until Monday — está/estará en Londres hasta el lunes
- until now/then — hasta ahora/entonces
- he's not coming until tomorrow — no viene hasta mañana
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.