In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Both London and Los Angeles can be dangerous places for the unwary.
- It comes as a surprise to the unwary individual taxpayer.
- In the past, cults were not viewed as national security threats; they were more dangerous to unwary individuals who might succumb to the cult's influence.
- Analysts made more money by touting stocks they knew were far overvalued than by providing accurate information to their unwary customers who depended on them.
- But as our experiences show, innocent fun can soon turn into danger for the unwary.
- They'll use letters, postcards, telegrams, cars and whatever other technology is at hand to snare the unwary.
- The addition of subsection is another dangerous trap for the unwary.
- This whole process can be done invisibly to the user, so for the unwary, the dangers of transmitting it to others is very real.
- The computer's actual owner may not even know it's infected; some Web pages are designed to infect unwary visitors.
- The exposed live wires pose a great danger to unwary people, especially children who could touch these wires while playing.
- But with the increased acceptance of such activity, great danger lies for the unwary.
- The unwary traveler in Beijing will, at selected stations, get that falling ‘into an abyss’ feeling as their feet hit the deck much later than expected.
- The Forest of Dean has dangers enough for the unwary stranger, without these.
- Unfortunately, there is also a danger to unwary bystanders.
- Somewhere down-slope there is sure to be an unwary toddler, a brittle pensioner, or at the very least an expensive automobile.
- The layers of mud all along the yet-to-be asphalted roads are soft and thick enough to either send an unwary rider into a skid or to send an asthmatic to hospital.
- Haphazardly installed electrical wiring is common in many small private schools and can create fires or electrocute an unwary child or teacher.
- With no water visible, this stretch of the canal will be a danger to the unwary walker and young children.
- Amtrak food can only be adequately compared to the execrable fare that used to await unwary travellers at the highway service stations of my youth.
- The most troubling aspect of the present situation is the shaking down of unwary travelers by a government perfectly aware that if a fine is contested there will be no prosecution.
1the unwary — los incautos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.