In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1an up-and-coming artist/actor — un artista/actor que promete / que llegará lejos / con mucho futuro
- We had some good, experienced players surrounded by some up-and-coming youngsters.
- He had a reputation as an up-and-coming talent at the time and I was supposed to be marking him in midfield.
- Due to a lack of available senior players, we had the opportunity to give valuable experience to more young up-and-coming talent.
- His name was Tim and he was an up-and-coming young principal with good looks and charm.
- Two up-and-coming young girl bands took to the stage to headline the event, part of a national day of action.
- The North-west playwrights showcase will then feature two plays by up-and-coming North-West writers.
- He regards himself as a ‘top manager’, not just another up-and-coming young coach.
- The only thing I haven't mentioned yet is the talent of the up-and-coming hockey legends.
- This may sound a bit ignorant, but I really don't know a lot of the up-and-coming players.
- Dedication to these values is the reason the kids are going ga-ga over this up-and-coming young combo.
- He is another of the young, gifted and up-and-coming breed of goalkeepers who has been tipped for international honours.
- He currently is a referee assessor and acts as a mentor for up-and-coming young referees in Hampshire.
- And it could be a good move if the success of the last up-and-coming star to perform there is anything to go by.
- People ask me who is the next up-and-coming player coming through the pro ranks, but I don't see anyone.
- This series follows the hungry, up-and-coming estate agents at one of Britain's most successful companies.
- He continues to bang the drum loudly for both established and up-and-coming Canadian roots musicians.
- This new competition focuses on up-and-coming talented young players in the brass band world.
- There have been a lot of changes, an investment in young up-and-coming players with new coaches and a new framework.
- Over two hundred people attended including many up-and-coming young handballers.
- The brewery is in an up-and-coming city centre location, increasingly valuable as Edinburgh property rates soar.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.