In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(stuffing, springs)relleno masculino
- Call the cleaners and they will take care of the carpets, curtains, drapes, furniture, upholstery and put a beautiful Spring gloss to your home.
- I love the couch in the living room, with its thick down cushions and velvet upholstery.
- His parents attempted a smile and continued to regard the upholstery of the sofa.
- For a chic design with a contemporary edge, Monty favors sophisticated fabrics and tailored upholstery in leather and linen.
- As well as providing a top class upholstery service they also supply sofas, couches, arm chairs and suites made to the customer specifications.
- The test car came with optional cream leather upholstery, which, although attractive, reflected badly off the window.
- Even the leather upholstery, though a little cracked and faded with age, had been oiled and seemed to glow.
- Elizabeth Bland, who runs furniture and upholstery shop Homemaker, said she would not be interested in the scheme.
- Trimmed in pink ribbon, the sitting room's yellow sofa echoes the upholstery style of the bedroom's chaise longue.
- Each of the two new cinemas contain wonderful stadium seating with soft upholstery and armrest cup holders.
- The black paint was peeling along the running boards, and the soft grey upholstery looked shabby and faded.
- Walnut timber floor and panelling are contrasted with the aubergine panelling of the limestone bar, and the furniture upholstery is a calming blue.
- Swivel chairs were also available in bentwood, reed, and wood with leather upholstery.
- Now it is looking to extend its factory, expand into the leisure upholstery and salon furniture markets, and improve its productivity.
- Those savings can be applied to new features (adding more leather upholstery, say).
- I laughed and gently eased myself onto the leather upholstery.
- Once inside the sitting area with its leather upholstery and fancy artwork simply there for show, we waited for our mother.
- They are now used to make items as diverse as garden furniture and car upholstery.
- But the furniture, upholstery and accessories of his own company, Linley, would hardly fit that description.
- Even the soft warm leather upholstery and steady movement of the vehicle didn't succeed in lulling the girl to sleep.
3(craft, trade)tapicería femenino
- Linking with the waterways theme were stalls of canal boat art and decoration, boat upholstery, knot tying and information about the British Waterways.
- Anyone interested in classes in Woodwork, Pottery or upholstery are advised to get in touch with the organization as soon as possible.
- But ten years ago he went back to painting and decorating and developed the French polishing and upholstery business from that.
- He noted that among the areas involved were arts and crafts, woodwork, upholstery, photography and so on.
- One very innovative course taken on by Forward Steps is an upholstery course, which had a terrific practical element for the centre.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.