In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in boxing)gancho masculino
- He leapt back to his feet quickly, lifting his fist to deliver a gruesome uppercut.
- Generally, the issue only came up in fast-paced hooks, uppercuts and follow-up punches.
- He punched the guard nearest to him in the face and aimed an uppercut punch just below his jaw.
- She looked at him for a moment, balled up her fist, and delivered an uppercut to his lower jaw that sent him off his feet and back towards the steps.
- He crouches down and then launches his fist upward in the motion of an uppercut.
- During the training she unleashed several hook punches and uppercuts that were so ‘lightning fast’ they would subdue an aggressor before he know what hit him.
- He moved with impressive grace and skill, angling away from Hernandez's onrushes and countering effectively with uppercuts, straight right hands, and left hooks.
- Khan now oozes with confidence, landing his punches and even throwing in uppercuts on his attack as he senses victory.
- You hold the gloves and deliver uppercuts, hooks and jabs, taking care to sidestep or duck away from punches.
- Cintron's hooks, uppercuts, and overhand rights dictated the fight and the win.
- At the two-minute mark of the eleventh round, De La Hoya delivered a left uppercut that traveled less than 6 inches.
- And his left hook was every bit as formidable and devastating as his uppercut.
- From past to present, boxers such as Jack Johnson, Sugar Ray Robinson, Mike Tyson and Eric Morales all had and have great uppercuts.
- He had a good long hard jab, his left hook and left uppercut were devastating punches.
- Jeremey landed, ducked the last attack and delivered an uppercut, sending the attacker sprawling to the ground five feet away.
- Expect a large assortment of straights, jabs, uppercuts, hooks, and more.
- In one swift motion, he delivered a brutal uppercut to her chin, and she slumped to the ground.
- Tshehla was superb, particularly when boxing behind a left jab which was followed by a left uppercut - his best punch.
- At thirty-eight seconds to go Tito delivered a pin-point left uppercut which had Ricardo hanging on for dear life.
- Before the Commander could hit the ground, however, Talon slipped behind him, and delivered an uppercut to the small of his back, launching Baldric into the air.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.