In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)división administrativa de un condado que abarca varios centros urbanos
- If this commission holds out we will get an urban district council.
- He raised the matter at the recent urban district council meeting and the local authority admitted its error.
- Witham had its own urban district council until 1974, when it was disbanded and its assets merged with those of the new Braintree District Council.
- The proposal for public motor ambulance services stretching from Skipton to Guiseley was discussed at a meeting of the urban district council.
- Councillor Kate Brown said the situation was partly due to neglect on the part of the urban district council.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.