In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The cars handle well, offering a little fun to go with their high quality and utilitarian design.
- The scrapers seem to have functioned primarily as utilitarian items rather than prestige items.
- His sculptures misbehave, they defy convention, they turn utilitarian objects and practical actions into outlandish things involving wonder and humor.
- Stoneware was the basic ceramic ware for utilitarian objects in the nineteenth century.
- It said the battle to save the building was lost and the site was now to be covered by flats of a utilitarian design.
- Craftsmen survived in a variety of way: by producing souvenirs rather than utilitarian objects.
- It's a plain, utilitarian stick that does its job without calling attention to itself.
- She wore utilitarian working clothes, rather than the traditional blouse and skirt.
- But does a democracy really have to choose to build brutish, dull, utilitarian buildings when building for itself?
- The buildings are utilitarian in nature, although they come with efficient, and some would say essential, air-conditioning.
- The original farmhouse was a utilitarian building without much molding or other decoration.
- For those unable to afford elaborately carved items or high-quality cabinetry, there was nevertheless much practical, utilitarian furniture.
- They used these simple stacked facades for unpretentious utilitarian buildings; the repeated detail lent itself to prefabrication.
- It is a shopping centre, not Salisbury Cathedral, and it is always going to be a utilitarian building.
- The building, whose economical and utilitarian design gives it an imposing solidarity, is still there, situated about 300 metres from the Bosphorus shoreline.
- Department stores do stock lots of bras in ‘plus’ sizes, but they tend to be ugly, utilitarian and practical bras designed for an older clientele.
- They looked merely utilitarian and sensibly designed.
- These traditions provide inspiration at every level - from the design of the most utilitarian objects to fine art.
- Grips on any handgun can be works of art or strictly utilitarian objects that fulfill a need.
- Surprising though, is the toned down and rather utilitarian look and shape of the accessories.
- He made a lasting contribution to moral and political philosophy by attacking the prevailing materialism and empiricism of utilitarian thinkers.
- In England, the utilitarian doctrine of a higher public good trumped the idea of intellectual property rooted in natural right.
- I can make both moral and utilitarian arguments for the classical liberal worldview.
- I imagined that a broadly utilitarian approach to ethics was fairly standard these days.
- Modern philosophers tend to take a more utilitarian position.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.