In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1US(from work) vacaciones femenino(from work) licencia femenino México Río de la Plata Colombia(from studies) vacaciones femenino(camp/trip/job) (before noun) de vacacionesto be on vacation — (from work) estar de licencia México Río de la Plata Colombia
- to take a vacation — tomarse unas vacaciones
- he took his vacation in May — cogió las vacaciones en mayo
- I spent my vacation in Peru — pasé las vacaciones en el Perú
- where did you spend your summer vacation? — ¿dónde veraneaste?
- the long vacation — las vacaciones de verano
- to go on vacation — ir / irse de vacaciones
- vacation home — casa de veraneo / de campo
- vacation resort — centro turístico
- During our university vacations, we took jobs as herds people in the Alps, running after cattle for three months out of the year and sleeping in rickety huts and stables.
- Before you leave on vacation, follow these tips and feel more secure about your home being vacant.
- I tended only to see them during University vacations - particularly Christmas.
- Please take the time to get enough rest, not only on vacation, but everyday.
- After a summer vacation, most children look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones as they return to school.
- As I regard this case as sufficiently important, I will come in during the vacation if there is a problem.
- I went on vacation last week, and somehow managed to leave the refrigerator door open.
- In fact, over the holidays the mom was off on vacation for two weeks and didn't spend one of those days with her son.
- I am staring a three-and-a-bit months University vacation in the face.
- Because the Scottish courts are currently on a vacation period, only one judge will hear the appeal, instead of two.
- When I was at home for university vacations, he would sit listening to me intently, head tilted to one side, as I poured out all the problems of an average early twenty-something.
- But we were only able to be together during summer vacations and mid term break.
- Hotels reduce rates, airfare prices drop and vacation packages may be hundreds less.
- The application came before me as the vacation judge.
- Holidays and school vacations are to be shared equally.
- They left to go on vacation around ten this morning.
- Her best friend and her parents went to Europe every summer for 2 months during the school vacation period.
- I had seen the movie in Paris while on vacation over the holidays with my partner, Christopher.
- The time block of the traditional extended summer vacation is redistributed in the form of shorter breaks throughout the year.
- While planning a long fishing vacation, there are a couple of obvious choices to be made.
- This week is going to be a little hectic since I'm trying to get so many things done before I leave on vacation.
- Three-day family vacation packages cost $155 per person, including activities and meals.
- I will be leaving on vacation in two days and will not be able to do much else except put down ideas in my traveling notebook.
- Croatian workers receive at least four weeks of vacation per year, in addition to national holidays.
- I've got a week and a half more at work before my vacation starts.
- On vacation some people are determined to keep the cell phone charged up and ready to rip wherever they go.
- There must surely be ways of, for example, employing undergraduates during vacations to enthuse these would-be physicists in labs that would otherwise be lying empty.
- His friends are all on vacation, leaving him bored and lonesome.
- Whether they're on a business trip or on vacation, these travelers are often in spending mode.
- Remember when you thought that an annual two-week vacation was a necessity?
- He knew he was leaving the next day and that he had booked a vacation for 3 weeks.
- I was by this time living in Cambridge, having won a scholarship to the university, and stayed with her only during my vacations.
- On vacation, I would check in with the office three or four times a day.
- I don't usually get up early when I'm on vacation either, but this trip is a worthwhile exception.
- Everyone was exchanging gifts in the halls and people were leaving to go on vacation and to go visit family members.
- Typically honeymooners tend to enjoy beach vacations as honeymoon destinations.
- This was during Christmas break, and Brent was still supposedly on vacation from school.
- While packing, I browse through some photos and I come across some of me on vacation with a former boyfriend.
- Some universities will cancel the usual summer vacations from mid-July to the end of August as part of the effort to prevent the spread of the disease.
- Months later I flew to the United States to spend a month-long vacation.
- Next time the kids are on school vacation, I'm hiring a sitter and going to work.
- We decided to just go on vacation and take advantage of our spring break.
- The vacation period was a nightmare for many because they had to explore alternative methods of generating income.
- With a vacation period coming up, the magistrate put off the case until August 13.
- First, I have not been on vacation, I don't even know what a vacation is anymore.
- We've finished school this year and are going to university after summer vacation.
- "We specialise in providing the best adventure vacations for people who want a personal and tailored travel service.
- Students on long-term tertiary courses may, on application, work for 15 hours per week during term time, and for extended hours during vacations.
1.2(of law courts)período de inactividad masculinoreceso (judicial) masculino América Latina
2formal(of building)evacuación femenino formaldesalojo masculino
- His vacation of the midfield also enabled Jamie Buchan to get back to his favoured position in midfield after a long spell at left back.
- He was again unopposed on the vacation of his seat.
- On the vacation of the post, the senior masters assembled and discussed eligible candidates.
1pasar las vacacionesvacacionar México
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.