In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She was ambitious to the point of vainglory.
- The first stanza reveals a speaker characterized by vainglory and chivalry at one and the same time.
- Yet the book is a heavy volume of historic narcissism - a magnum opus of upper-class vainglory and scrupulous evasion.
- True revolution is not about glamour, vainglory, or self-promotion.
- At the age of seventeen, brimming with optimism and ruled by vainglory, Victor leaves his native Switzerland to attend college.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.