In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1valquiria femeninowalkiria femenino
- Some Vikings envisioned the Valkyries carrying torches - or reflected light off their shields - as they led slain warriors to Valhalla.
- Brynhild, a Valkyrie, disobeyed Odin and was put to sleep until she would be woken by a man.
- It was believed that when a Viking died in battle, a warrior maiden called a Valkyrie escorted him to Valhalla.
- Five minutes ago she was screaming like a Valkyrie and fighting like a demon, and now she was being gentle and sorry?
- Perhaps the most widely known of legendary women warriors are the Greek Amazons and the Nordic Valkyries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.