In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Security is to be stepped up at a town cemetery after a spate of thefts and vandalism to graves
- This is just mindless damage and vandalism, which will hit us hard in the pocket.
- Many motorists have now been forced to park out of view, risking theft and vandalism.
- A total of 22 crimes of vandalism have been reported to the police in the past three weeks.
- Schools are used to finding themselves on the receiving end of crime and vandalism.
- The level of mindless vandalism around the centre is an indicator that we need to do a lot of work there.
- We want to protect staff and park users and reduce the amount of vandalism.
- It makes us so angry that the cemetery is becoming a target of theft and vandalism.
- In a wanton act of vandalism their car was broken into and rendered undrivable.
- The image of the estate has already improved a lot, with graffiti and vandalism being reduced.
- We need better public services locally and a tougher attitude towards vandalism and crime.
- They cannot be expected to be present while every act of crime or vandalism is being perpetrated.
- Mindless and dangerous vandalism at a social housing property has been condemned by police.
- He supported the new scheme and hoped it would reduce vandalism in the area.
- Persistent acts of vandalism have now forced the school to rethink plans to create an outdoor play area.
- As a community, I urge one and all to take a firm stand against vandalism of all kinds.
- Reports of criminal damage and persistent vandalism were also relayed to councillors.
- A village school is looking to employ private security guards in a bid to crack down on vandalism.
- He called on the public to report any instances of criminal damage or vandalism.
- Acts of vandalism do occur, but it is not something that happens very frequently.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.