In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The concert will include a varied programme with music to suit all tastes.
- The varied contributions reflect the different concerns of their authors.
- The job is so varied with different things constantly cropping up.
- Blending elements from varied genres - crime thriller, road movie, noir - Fabio Segatori's picture is somewhat of an oddity.
- Michael Bassett has had a rich and varied career, both in politics and history.
- In the Territory, we have 200,000 people from different cultures and varied backgrounds and around 26,000 of them live in Alice Springs.
- The artistic elements are rich and varied, reflecting changing aesthetics as well as technological advances.
- A country no bigger than Wales, it has some of the most varied landscapes and wildlife on Earth.
- We need an online forum where young men with varied interests and different backgrounds can discuss and learn from each other's lives.
- My career has been very varied and interesting, especially working in different parts of London.
- South Africa has a very varied landscape, and it's pretty spectacular.
- Frank Delaney has had a long and varied career as a broadcaster and writer.
- I'm much more interested in a career where you can move anywhere and do lots of varied, different things.
- He set a very high standard for the many different and varied tasks that he undertook on and for the whole estate.
- His work was highly varied, but he became best known for his ingenious use of scrap material.
- Indeed, it is the different styles and varied voices that are the strength of this book.
- Many and varied are the causes of homelessness and to try to document them in such a short space would be nigh on impossible.
- Make soy just one element of a varied, balanced diet.
- The use of layered hand-made paper of different quality gives varied texture to the painting.
- But the infantryman's chances varied considerably depending on which division he was in.
- For the unpretentious, self-effacing actor he was, Joel McCrea had a remarkably varied career.
- Most critically, they eat fewer calories and a more varied overall diet.
- Contestants come from all over the country, from many and varied backgrounds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.