In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Vatican — el Vaticano
- before noun the Vatican Council — el Concilio Vaticano
- The money raised went straight to the church and to the Vatican.
- Many high-ranking officials in the Guatemalan government were members of religious orders that staunchly uphold the position of the Vatican.
- It's important to remember that Cardinal Martino doesn't represent the official opinion of the Vatican.
- Barcelona's archbishop - who sees Gaudi as belonging to the tradition of religious mystics - put their case to the Vatican, which in 1999 agreed in record-breaking time to start the process.
- His nomination by Cork clergy as their bishop was not ratified by the Vatican.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.