In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Cocinaverdura femenino(dish/soup) (before noun) de verdurasfresh/frozen/canned vegetables — verdura fresca/congelada/enlatada
- we grow our own vegetables — cultivamos nuestras verduras / hortalizas
- vegetable garden/patch — huerto
1.2(plant)vegetal masculino(fats/oil) (before noun) vegetal(colors/dyes) (de origen) vegetalvegetable matter — sustancia vegetal femenino
- the vegetable kingdom — el reino vegetal
- My parents still make a living selling vegetables at farmers markets.
- The children received cooking classes from local chefs who introduced them to cooking healthy foods such as vegetable soup and home made pizzas.
- I lived on vegetable stew, which became by Monday spicy vegetable stew and by Wednesday vegetable curry.
- The obvious choices are healthy vegetables like carrots, celery, and cherry tomatoes.
- Janet stood in her kitchen chopping vegetables for salad.
- There is no limit to what you can grow, from sweet peas to all types of vegetables and soft fruit.
- Most of the vegetables and fruit are grown organically on the estate and they also produce their own honey.
- He sells his fruit and vegetables locally for prices little higher than those for non-organic produce.
- Just about any book or article on nutrition recommends that we eat leafy green vegetables.
- Both dishes came with a mountain of fresh vegetables - spinach, carrots and green beans.
- She eats a lot of fruits and vegetables, but also red meat, poultry and fish from time to time.
- Scottish diets are high in fat and there is a marked deficiency of fruit and vegetables.
- Fruit and vegetables also contain non-essential nutrients called phytochemicals, which have some potent properties.
- The potato is the vegetable of choice in the United States.
- If you don't like spinach, try other green vegetables such as beans or bok choy.
- Stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables to replenish the nutrients your body craves.
- A glass of fresh vegetable juice is a healthy snack that will provide your body with important nutrients.
- Vegetables like broccoli will soak up flavour best.
- The buffet-style meals include homemade tortillas, scrambled eggs, and vegetable soup with rice.
- Why not consider taking on an allotment and growing your own fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs.
- Garlic, oats, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables all help lower bad cholesterol - as does red wine.
2(inactive person) vegetal masculino coloquial(injured or disabled person) vegetal masculino malsonante despectivo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.