In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Now, you're on the road rather than the velodrome, but is this still a bonus for Australian cycling?
- The track there is the busiest velodrome in the world and McGlynn sees no reason why a facility in Scotland wouldn't be just as popular.
- Yes, we need a 50-metre pool and, yes, we need a cycling velodrome, but we do not need any more stadiums.
- It was foreseen by us that the velodrome would be totally enclosed.
- White City Stadium, built for the London Games, included a velodrome, seating for over 68,000 spectators, and an unusually long 100-meter pool!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.