In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There is also a long and venerable family tradition of building and constructing.
- It was a wonderful afternoon, all of us upstarts, edgy and feisty, garnering the imprimatur of the venerable professor.
- They don't have the venerable institutions and structures of the two big parties.
- All of these are venerable human institutions that we recently decided to change.
- This last factor will weigh particularly heavily with Egypt's Mubarak, now the venerable elder statesman of the Arab world.
- Perhaps the most venerable and prestigious general scientific journal in the world is Nature.
- I wait to see whether an even more venerable Caledonian diver will now come forward.
- The police are also rediscovering the benefits of some of our more venerable instruments.
- In fact, Eminem seems constitutionally incapable of partaking in hip-hop's most venerable traditions.
- Rather than impose preconceived plans on a venerable company with a distinct culture, he's going to listen first.
- Sendmail is one of the most venerable internet software packages still in widespread use.
- He was also acutely aware of being part a long and venerable exegetical tradition.
- The venerable A-level celebrates its 54th birthday this year.
- Yes, I did that venerable one a favor; I did what nobody else would.
- The venerable Sir Walter Scott, who self-consciously wrote romances, criticized Jane Austen for not being romantic enough.
- Eugene, you are from the venerable Catholic tradition, which of course has been around a long time.
- But when that venerable team melted into the sunset, normal service was resumed.
- The thought of making money at the expense of these venerable institutions was hugely tempting.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.