In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The vestments of the high priest were bejewelled and adorned with colors that literally mapped the world.
- The angels are dressed in priests' vestments to emphasise this link with the Eucharist.
- The priestly vestments were designed to cover the body in multiple layers, each layer exaggerating the size of legs, torso and head.
- A few clergy assemble, including one in vestments which mark him out as an archbishop.
- But rather than represent anonymous bodies, the artist presents us with bodies that are adorned with the symbols of power, bishop's mitres, priestly vestments, and gentlemen's robes.
- Indeed there was more incense and ornate vestments than I have seen in a Catholic service for some time.
- Trying to get into it in full vestments was always something of a challenge.
- The cardinal who's just been elected pope goes there to put on the vestments he'll wear when he appears to the crowd waiting below in St. Peter's Square.
- In addition to painting and sculpture, the collections include displays of silver, ecclesiastical ornaments and vestments, furniture, and altars.
- What is the role of lighting in the display of the colors of vestments or robes?
- Now the Pope had reached the elevated altar, his green vestments reflecting the Irishness of the occasion.
- He painted designs for richly embroidered ecclesiastical vestments that required satin stitch and raised work in metallic and silk threads.
- The liturgical vestments worn by the priest also indicate this.
- The new Prayer Book of 1552 was avowedly Protestant; altars were turned into tables, clerical vestments were downgraded and religious orthodoxy was enforced by a new and more stringent Act of Uniformity.
- It is a sombre painting with the only bright colour provided by the clergymen's vestments and by the headscarves of the women.
- Next week, we're due to discuss the different seasons of the church year, and are going touch upon the different colours of vestments worn at different times throughout the year.
- They do not even seem to allude to crucifixes or church buildings or vestments or liturgical practice.
- Peg was gifted with her hands and made numerous vestments for the clergy through her association with the Apostolic Workers.
- They would gratefully spend time during the week preparing a homily, then go down the street Sunday morning, put on some vestments and say Mass in their own parish communities.
- This holiday celebration began in the morning, with clergy clad in white vestments and a choir singing Gregorian chant.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.